Dr. B. L. Kapur, an eminent Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, set up a Charitable Hospital in 1930 at Lahore. In 1947, Dr. Kapur moved to post-partition India and set up a Maternity Hospital at Ludhiana. In 1959, on invitation of the then Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, Dr. B. L. Kapur set up a 200 bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru himself on 2nd January, 1959.